Saturday, June 22, 2013

I was sitting peacefully, parrot perched on my shoulder, thinking how beautiful the weather is today and my mind wandered to, yes, a random thought.

After some interesting encounters this week I had a thought which made me sad. It is shocking the lengths to which people will go to feel significant. Working for people's approval, trying to be seen, trying to compete for all the wrong reasons— in essence being quite self-absorbed.

Years ago a co-worker was stating to a group of us "Now that I am famous I am important". She must have seen my expression change and said "You are going to tell me I'm still not important". My response "No I was going to tell you you always were." Her lack of understanding of her importance just as a person was heartbreaking to me.

From the moment we are conceived we are significant. Created with a purpose and a plan. If we become famous, achieve scholastic acclaim, walk in power and authority it may be the fulfillment of the plan but does not affect our significance. Only we can diminish our worth by the lies we believe.

Our circumstances would change so much if we would just realize we are already significant and the only one that needs to see us, and recognize our worth, already does.  That is where true freedom begins.  It also is the end to all the behaviors we engage in, to gain people's attention, but in reality  repels the very attention we are seeking.

To be the person we were meant to be, real, honest, vulnerable and to walk in the confidence that we are significant is the only way to gain authentic acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment